In this writing exercise inspired by Solmaz Sharif’s Look, students will explore using found language in order to create compelling dramatic situations.
Writing Exercise: “Look It Up”
- Select 4–5 words from Solmaz Sharif’s poems in Look. (These could be the DOD terms in small caps or her language.)
- Look up each of these words in the Oxford English Dictionary, available through the Taylor Memorial Library. Take notes on each of the definitions. Reflect: Did you know all of these definitions? Do you use these words differently?
- Write down these 4–5 words. What dramatic situation would include all of them?
- Free-write a poem in which you use all 4–5 words. Try to use the words in such a way that they make sense for this dramatic situation.
- Share. (Let’s type some of them up in the Group Notes document.)