The following information comes directly from my Spring 2017 syllabus for ENG 2091: Literature to Film.
ENG 2091 Literature to Film Required Texts
You have five required texts for this course, which we will read prior to viewing their film adaptations.
- Albee, Edward. Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? NAL, 2006. ISBN: 978-0451218599.
- Atwood, Margaret. The Handmaid’s Tale. Anchor, 1998. ISBN: 978-0385490818.
- Morrison, Toni. Beloved. Vintage, 2004. ISBN: 978-1400033416.
- Spark, Muriel. The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie. Harper Perennial Modern Classics, 2009. ISBN: 978-0061711299.
- Woolf, Virginia. Orlando (Annotated). Mariner Books, 2006. ISBN: 978-0156031516.
We will also read select essays and excerpts about the history, craft, and theory of film, available to you on Moodle.
A Note About Ordering Books
If you choose not to order from the university bookstore, I encourage you to consider ordering books directly from the publisher. Cutting out the middleman helps ensure that publishers and authors are treated fairly in the transaction. You can also make a difference with your book purchase by placing a special order with a local or regional bookstore, like Labyrinth Books in Princeton or Black Dog Books in Newton; an independent bookstore with online ordering, like Powell’s or Strand Bookstore; or a philanthropic independent seller like Better World Books.
Reserve Texts at Taylor Memorial Library
All of our literary and cinematic texts are available, sometimes in other editions, through Course Reserves at Taylor Memorial Library, except for The Handmaid’s Tale (1990) film and The Handmaid’s Tale (2017) television series. In order to access these materials, go to the main desk in the library and request to use them in the library.
We will screen the five feature-length films in class, and several other Lit to Film adaptations:
- Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966). Director: Mike Nichols.
- The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (1969). Director: Ronald Neame.
- The Handmaid’s Tale (1990). Director: Volker Schlondoff.
- Moving Poems by John Lucas and Claudia Rankine
- Orlando (1992). Director: Sally Potter.
- Beloved (1998). Director: Jonathan Demme.
- The Handmaid’s Tale, Hulu TV series (2017).